Match Report
Radley College 1st XI vs  Eton College
On: Saturday, 24 Feb 2024
Venue: at Home

The return leg at home v Eton. After losing 3-1 at Eton the side were looking to make amends. After an excellent training session on Thursday Radley looked in far better shape after a restful half term.

As in the first game, both sides were very evenly matched, Eton were composed at the back and Radley worked very hard to restrict their outletting. The opening 10 minutes saw Radley have both the best territory and possession without finding the net or a corner. After weathering the storm Eton began to get more into the game causing problems in midfield and creating a couple of half chances. The deadlock was finally broken with the first corner of the game. The Eton flicker dragging it high into the Radley goal. Radley 0-1 Eton.

At this point Radley heads could have gone down, instead they went straight back looking for an equaliser. The back two of Digby Eliot and debutant Woody Walker looked confident and comfortable on the ball. Freddie Blacker back in midfield saw more of the ball and the Eton defence were under pressure. Good work down both flanks saw Hugo AG and Toby Cook getting past their man to penetrate the Eton D. Archie Durden Smith rolling a ball agonisingly along the goal line with no one close enough to finish. Morgan Barnes smashed a shot high against the upright only for the rebound to fall to an Eton player.

Charlie Weston saved smartly from the second Eton corner and fullbacks Rory AG and Rory Tomlin kept pressing forward.

Radley sensed a goal and it came after smart work on the right flank via Will Matthews and Jasper Tomes saw Jasper pass across the face of the goal and this time Archie DS tapped home the finish. Half time Radley 1-1 Eton.

The second half was similar to the first, both sides trying to get on top but it was Radley who looked the most likely to break through. Jamie Fletcher and Freddie Blacker working tirelessly in midfield. The Eton goalkeeper made excellent saves from Toby Cook and Olly Southan and Eton’s defence held firm. Eton hit the post, Radley’s only corner was cleared off the line, Will Matthews flashed a shot inches wide but neither side could secure the win.

Final score Radley 1-1 Eton.

An excellent game with some real skill on display was a fitting finale to the inaugural Markham Riley cup. Radley winning the trophy overall and captain Freddie Blacker was presented with the cup by George Gundal, the Eton MiC of hockey.